I've always wished I'm an atheist. But I am not. I am an agnostic, because I acknowledge that there is the possibility of the divine. Still, I get wistful. Because as an agnostic, rather than a convicted atheist, I am conventionally viewed to be ambivalent and weak-minded.
But I'm not!
So thank *** for Richard Dawkins, who showed me what I can say next time I state my faith.
"I am only agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden."
-Richard Dawkins, "The GOD Delusion"
---
Tongtong and Mei scare me. Although they do not explicitly discuss their coursework in their posts, when they do passingly mention what they have been learning, it has always been brief flashes of Knowledge that is obscure and intellectual and unattainable. Isn't ALL that is significant about Sweden the meatballs and Ikea? How those ivory towers ... tower! Awestruck.
---
Teaching has been so busy and so crazy. For the past two weeks I have been teaching nothing but how to answer Source-Based Questions. Making worksheets about Source-based Questions. Powerpoint presentations about Source-Based Questions. And the last few nights I dreamt of myself teaching Source-Based Questions. And I wake up and go to work and scan more past years' Source-Based questions.
That's the busy part. The crazy part is I love it. I'm filled with Joy. These weeks have been some of the best in my 21-year life. And the students seem to enjoy it too.
It feels so weird to walk around and feel like a Role Model, while mentally I think back of a messy-hair, unkempt, shirt tucked-out student, who was lame, but nevertheless skipped lectures, who slept on tables, and who lived in a time not long ago.
---
The Thai Noodle House menu said, "Beef noodle soup w/ choice beefballs, tendons, beansprouts, beef meat"
I said, "I'd like beef noodle soup with beefballs."
The waitress said, "It comes with everything."
I said, "Then why does it says 'choice' ... OH."
And Zhipeng and Junbong were only laughing because of the word 'beefballs'. Hullo? I unintentionally displayed some (dim) wit there.
I was slightly uncomfortable in that place though. I felt the manager of the place should be dressed in some camouflage jungle-green military kit, to keep up with the zeitgeist.
---
Why are we expected to be funny bones? Do I bug Junbong to continue to sound eeyoringly ennui on his blog, or Zhi!hong to post more nice photos in her? It is what it is, alright? :\
But I'm not!
So thank *** for Richard Dawkins, who showed me what I can say next time I state my faith.
"I am only agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden."
-Richard Dawkins, "The GOD Delusion"
---
Tongtong and Mei scare me. Although they do not explicitly discuss their coursework in their posts, when they do passingly mention what they have been learning, it has always been brief flashes of Knowledge that is obscure and intellectual and unattainable. Isn't ALL that is significant about Sweden the meatballs and Ikea? How those ivory towers ... tower! Awestruck.
---
Teaching has been so busy and so crazy. For the past two weeks I have been teaching nothing but how to answer Source-Based Questions. Making worksheets about Source-based Questions. Powerpoint presentations about Source-Based Questions. And the last few nights I dreamt of myself teaching Source-Based Questions. And I wake up and go to work and scan more past years' Source-Based questions.
That's the busy part. The crazy part is I love it. I'm filled with Joy. These weeks have been some of the best in my 21-year life. And the students seem to enjoy it too.
It feels so weird to walk around and feel like a Role Model, while mentally I think back of a messy-hair, unkempt, shirt tucked-out student, who was lame, but nevertheless skipped lectures, who slept on tables, and who lived in a time not long ago.
---
The Thai Noodle House menu said, "Beef noodle soup w/ choice beefballs, tendons, beansprouts, beef meat"
I said, "I'd like beef noodle soup with beefballs."
The waitress said, "It comes with everything."
I said, "Then why does it says 'choice' ... OH."
And Zhipeng and Junbong were only laughing because of the word 'beefballs'. Hullo? I unintentionally displayed some (dim) wit there.
I was slightly uncomfortable in that place though. I felt the manager of the place should be dressed in some camouflage jungle-green military kit, to keep up with the zeitgeist.
---
Why are we expected to be funny bones? Do I bug Junbong to continue to sound eeyoringly ennui on his blog, or Zhi!hong to post more nice photos in her? It is what it is, alright? :\

<< Home