Monday, March 14, 2005

Please tell us about the activities and interests which you believe best represent the values and beliefs you held strongly to
(From PSC Online Application Form)

---

Sorry Tong it's your turn but I have to whine.

---

The PSC gateway application deadline was 2359, 14th March (Monday), right, and if you know me you know I love leaving things until the last minute, it's the way you're doing something you have had lots of time to do like everyone else, and the task is what everyone else had done, but somehow by chronologically slotting it in at the 13th hour you can do something usual but get this delicious adrenaline rush, the heart starts beating and the brain tries to speed up to make time go slower and thought, faster.

So to land myself in such a situation, after I woke up at 0930 Monday I breakfasted very, very slowly.

To cut a long story short, before I knew it,

it was 2350
and I haven't yet finished the application essay.

So I rushed-completed it in two minutes, and tried to submit it.

Application essay must not be more than 3100 characters long.

editeditedit chopwords up editeditedit.
Check MS word count:
Characters (with spaces): 3,088.
Yay! Submit.

Application essay must not be more than 3100 characters long.

23:54


What the hell!?

So now I had to edit an essay which is supposedly more than 3100 characters long according to PSC's personal standards (one Msword spacing = 1.443 Republic of Singapore spacing? A proof of our MNC-free sovereignty?), and I had no idea BY HOW FREAKING MUCH the Application Essay is more than 3100 characters long. So I was just chopping, slashing, MURDERING innocent word-bystanders and their screaming children. Tentative acts of submission were met by failure (Application essay must not be more than 3100 characters long.Application essay must not be more than 3100 characters long. Application essay must not be more than 3100 characters long. Application essay must not be more than 3100 characters long.)

So I went into holocaust mode, herding trusting adverbs and adjectives and even nouns into editorial gas chambers, coaxing them, telling them I was only cutting them out to paste them again somewhere else later, being utterly unscrupulous with the English Language and Literary Tradition.

Then- Submission Successful! Please click to verify.

click!clickclickclick!click!hurryup

Including slight 'hiccups' at other parts of the application form, submission time was roughly 23:58 (time calculated by averaging out the desktop time of me and two other online msn friends)

Phew. That was seriously damn fun man.

----

Then, nerves flaccidly relaxed, I reviewed the essay I submitted, now untouchable, noneditable.
First sentence read:

It is only quite recent that I can confidently say I know a belief or value is.

WHAT THE HEY?

It was supposed to be
It is only quite recent that I can confidently say I know what a belief or value is.

In the words of junior Tiffany:
Haha you sounded like a honky.

-----

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUPID PSC AND THEIR MYSTERIOUS CHARACTER-COUNTING METHODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOW A BLOODY STUPID ESSAY LAH EVEN THE FIRST SENTENCE DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----

sigh.

what i've give, to give a what


-------

BUT it was damn bloody fun. go try.


----

I know what you think. You think I should get out more often.